[CentOS] Ping and traceroute...

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 17:41:13 UTC 2009

On 1/23/09, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Right now, we are blocking pings and traceroutes to our website.
> But, in order for our members to test the connection when they are experiencing slow browsing, we are thinking about unblocking them...
> Are there still any security issues (flooding, etc...) in enabling them or is that an old problem fixed a long time ago?
>
> Thanks,
> JD

Can't help you on that specific question.  However do you have the
luxury of having your members coming from a block of IPs so you could
open pings to that block only.  Even if it included more than just
your members (i.e. all pings from a particular ISP or geographical
area) at least it would reduce your visibility thus reduce your
vulnerability should it be an issue.

Jacques B.