[CentOS] OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server -- SOLVED (kind of...)

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Jan 23 20:21:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 19:43 +0000, Miguel Medalha wrote:
> <snip>

> > (...) think your real problem lies in your processing software in
> > the file ordering. I would have a really good look at the software doing it.
> >

> The problem lies in EXT3. I discovered that if I mv the files to another
> directory the files will then appear on the samba shares in
> alphanumerical order and will be processed by Acrobat Distiller
> accordingly. The move can even be done by Windows Explorer working on
> the Samba share.
>
> This seems a bit strange to me. Why doesn't EXT3 present the files in
> alphanumerical order after they are first created one by one but then
> presents them alphanumerically after a bulk move to another directory?

In addition to the other reply about the dir_index/fsck reply, keep in
mind that a typical move (mv dir/* newdir/) will present the list of
files in alphanumeric order to the mv/cp command. So regardless of the
underlying order in the original directory, the order in the target
directory should be alphanumeric.

In that case, I would expect your software, which apparently processes
the directory itself, would see the stuff in the new directory in the
desired order, as seems to be indicated by your results above.

> Also, I connected a FAT32 formated USB flash drive to the server and
> directed Distiller to there. The files are correctly processed at the
> first trial. I suppose I will install a smallish FAT32 formated IDE disk
> on the server just for this purpose.

There has to be a better solution. Maybe the mv as a predecessor to the
application processing would be acceptable, presuming the dir_index
facility is really not working as hoped?

> Thank you to all who answered my questions. We form a great community
> indeed!
> <snip sig stuff>

I still think the dir_index _ought_ to do what you need it to do. But
I've never had to depend on it for that purpose so it is just wishful
supposition on my part.

--
Bill