[CentOS] OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server -- SOLVED (kind of...)

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Fri Jan 23 23:51:50 UTC 2009

> I was under the impression that the Distiller app was running under
> Windows.  If it isn't, it doesn't make much sense for it to expect NTFS
> filesystem semantics.

Yes, Distiller is running under Windows. When pages start to get ready,
one of the graphic operators opens Distiller on his/her workstation
which then starts watching a folder *on the server*.

> Can't the trigger operation of placing the special text file be replaced
> by that person starting the script instead (perhaps click a button on a
> web page or something similar)?

Yes, that would be a possibility. But those people have strong rooted
habits and they are not in the least technically minded. As such, I
would prefer to keep a workflow that has been functioning very well.

(By the way, that "special text file" is a snippet of PostScript code
that instructs Distiller on where to find the files and how to process
them. It would be needed anyway.)

Perhaps this obstacle will be removed by applying the correct parameters
to the EXT3 file system, as suggested by William Maltby and Steve
Thompson above in this thread: mount option "dir_index" followed by a
"fsck -Df". I will try this Monday.

Thank you for answering.