[CentOS] gpg agent not running

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:43:21 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 14:32:12 Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > "as root" or "at boot"?
> >
> > Sorry - stupid typo.  Yes, at boot - or login, to be more precise.  I
> > think I used to start it with an eval statement in ~/.bash_profile, but
> > on my backup file I see that it's commented out, so I presume I was told
> > that there is a better way.
>
> I think you'd generally want to start it via your desktop environment
> (gnome, kde or such). I'm not sure if there is a suggested way for a
> "clean" CentOS but with the gnupg2 package from epel you get
> a /etc/kde/env/gpg-agent-startup.sh file.
>
> I'm a kde person so I'd probably use .kde/env/... if my dist didn't handle
> it.
>
> I've also seen solutions on other dists using
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent
>
> So, sorry, no good clean answer :-(

OK.  Thanks for answering.

I used to use ~/.kde/env, but somewhere around Fedora 6 I was told not to do
that - I don't recall why.  I'll experiment.  It's no big deal.  I was without
a mail server for 24 hours as repeated power cuts depleted my ups and I saw my
first really trashed system for 7 years.  Everything else is working now and I
can live without agent for a day or two until I find the best answer.

Anne