[CentOS] SELinux - null security context

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 17:46:25 UTC 2009

Hi,

2009/1/28 Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>:
> I'm seeing this every hour when the hourly cron job runs
> NULL security context for user, but SELinux in permissive mode, continuing

Try to use "ps -Z" to see if all your processes have appropriate
security contexts. It's unlikely (impossible?) that one of them will
not have, but start with that anyway.

Also you can use "ls -Z" to see if the files have security contexts or
not. Maybe start with "ls -Z /etc/cron*" and "ls -Z /var/spool/cron/"
to see if the files related to crontabs are covered.

Also have a look at what "semanage login -l" returns, in CentOS you
should have an entry for "__default__" pointing to "user_u" and one
for "root" pointing to "root".

> I've tried fixfiles but obviously I'm missing something....

Sometimes fixfiles will not be able to do a thorough job if your
system is booted and running. It's preferrable to do "touch
/.autorelabel" and reboot the machine, that way "fixfiles" will run as
the only process in the machine and will be able to label all files
properly.

> Any SELinux gurus that can point me in the right direction?

Far from being a guru, but maybe the information above will be useful
for you to hunt the problem down.

HTH,
Filipe