[CentOS] difference in x86 64 bit centos between 4.x and 5.x versions

Kevin Krieser k_krieser at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 29 00:26:56 UTC 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 3:41 PM, RobertH wrote:

> i am new to the x86 64 bit centos versions.
>
> ive always used the 32 bit version on industrial type HP hardware
>
> for those of you that are running x86 64 bit centos, other than
> specific
> hardware issues, are you finding that 5.x centos is better than 4.x
> centos
> for x86 64 bit processing?
>
> does it matter in the amd vrs intel hardware differences what you
> choose to
> use for centos version?
>
> other things to make note of?
>
> if i need to be more specific in the general-ness of the approach,
> please
> let me know.
>
> thanks in advance for feedback.
>
> - rh

My opinion is to first determine a few issues.

How much RAM will it need?  If over 3GB of physical RAM, consider 64
bit.
Are there third party applications you need to run on it?  If they are
64 bit, that answers the question too.  If 32 bit, are they supported
on 64 bit OS?  Do they have different versions for 32 and 64 bit?