[CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Fri Jan 30 09:40:10 UTC 2009

I've had this happen on more than one occasion, that is to say when the
motherboard didn't totally bail at the occasion. Anne, if you have a spare PSU,
try your system with that one and see if the system is more stable.

Brand-name PSU's is *not* a guarantee it will last and/or be resilient. I have
experience with those as well... 8-/

>If the latter, I would suspect either a power supply or a processor fan. If
>the former, maybe you need to invest in an inexpensive UPS.

I second that. A UPS, as in prevention, is THE starting point for stability.

At home I have a fairly big one, a Powerware 5115 rated at 1400VA. My two
Windows DC's, another Windows intranet web portal, firewall-appliance, linux
web server and switch, as well as one monitor are connected to it. The three
workstations are not though, all docs and files are on the DC's. 8-}