[CentOS] OT: Digital Video Editor for CentOS 5.2 - Suggestions?

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Sat Jan 31 20:26:46 UTC 2009

>I did some reading about Cinelerra last night and they call it Render
>or Rendering, when you are finished editing and want to Save. They
>save the video and audio files separately. I guess that's how we are
>able to see some programs on DirectTV in English or in Spanish....
>And, movies on DVDs.....

Lanny,
There's actually so much more to video than most think. When you watch a
video with sound, you are actually watching a multiplexed stream of one
video stream and one audio stream (or a few etc). Normally in any real
editor, you are working with all the streams independently on the timeline.
You will later multiplex them back to a combined stream for distribution,
or maybe send them separately into a format authoring suit like something
that makes a dvd with menus etc.

The best thing you could do is hang out at http://www.doom9.org/ although
windows oriented, the knowledge and understanding you'll gain and forum help
will be valuable. They have many guides which illustrate the technique and
point out caveats or things to watch for which will really broaden your
understanding of what is going and all that can go wrong! There's some crazy
technoogy behind encoding video!

I just looked at http://cinelerra.org/docs.php and was blown away at how
shockingly good the documentation is! I'll keep this in mind next time I
am on Linux and do any nl video editing (I used to use adobe products which
are pretty tough to beat, but I was only ever a hack :>).

Enjoy the new hobby, I found it fun...
jlc