[CentOS] lvm metadata recovery

Thu Jan 22 20:34:04 UTC 2009
Brian Krusic <brian at krusic.com>

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to recover my primary VolGroup00 that has my
root partition.

Here is my scenario;

1 - I add an external drive to my VolGroup00 which is sdc1.
2 - I make that external drive a snapshot of my /
3 - After I remove that new volume of sdc1 using lvremove, all os fine.
4 - When I turn off the sdc1 drive, I loose my VolGroup00.

If by chance, the sdc1 breaks in such a way that the system doesn't se
it any more and the system happens to reboot, it will longer recognize
a VolGroup00 and therefore not boot.

I backed up my original /etc/lvm to /etc/lvm.backup and would like to
know how I can restore it from booting to a LiveCD and simply
restoring the files located in /etc/lvm.back/backup/VolGroup00 which
is my original metadata config.

- Brian