[CentOS] OT: Digital Video Editor for CentOS 5.2 - Suggestions?

Fri Jan 30 03:16:43 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We are finally going to replace our VHS-C  Camcorder, with a Digital
>> Camcorder, tomorrow. Looking for suggestions,
>> for Digital Video Editor to use on CentOS 5.2. Preferably, something
>> in the CentOS or RPMForge repositories and easy to use. TIA!
>

> Cinelerra.  It is very powerful, and Dag kindly added to his repo
> quite sometime ago.
>
> http://cinelerra.org/
>
> The only "problem" is that, because it is so powerful and feature
> rich, learning curve is very steep.  I have yet to learn it myself but
> I already know its capabilities through my best Linux friend who is an
> expert in video editing.

Akemi: To revive my thread that is nearly six (6) months old... First,
for reasons I will never understand, the store where my Stepson works
took their sweet time about selling the camcorder to us at a discount,
so there was a very long delay in our getting it and we've only used
it a few times. Tonight, my wife had our eight (8) year old daughter
use it, while she was doing her dance exercises. When she saw how
great she looked, she wanted to edit the video and post on youtube.
She has been using M$ Windows for months, so I suggested Windows Movie
Maker or whatever it's called. She replied that she did not like that
program and had deleted it from her box. So, I found this thread and
she has been  using Cinelerra on my box, but it saved the edited file
in .xml format, so there *is* a learning curve to Cinelerra. Cinelerra
seems to have *no* problems working with the video from the Samsung
Camcorder which uses the mini DVD media. :-)  She did discover in a
web search that Cinelerra is only available for Linux and that it is
not for beginners.  She is very smart and persistent, so she will be
able to use Cinelerra with time.    Lanny