[CentOS] question on /etc/defaults

Fri Jan 30 14:12:11 UTC 2009

My colleague, doing the HIPL development, principally uses ubuntu and
although he is now building the Fedora/Centos rpms for me, he leaves
much of the testing to me.....

Anyway for any kernel prior to 2.6.27, I have to run the hip code in
userspace, not kernel space.  This is due to the ESP BEET patch.  There
is a specific hipd for userspace, but the hipfw requires a different
option.  For a while, everytime I would get a new rpm, I would have to
modify /etc/init.d/hipfw to add this to OPTIONS.  Then we added support
for /etc/defaults/hipfw to have the OPTIONS.  Worked just fine in ubuntu
so he released it.  And things stopped working for me in Centos.

After some fiddling, I finally figured out that /etc/defaults/hipfw was
NOT being processed for its one line:  OPTIONS=   This is exactly the
same line that is in the /etc/init.d/hipfw, but with the added value.

Does anyone have experience with /etc/defaults and perhaps shed light on
what might not be working?