[CentOS] restricting mails from "mail" command to specific domains only in postfix

Sat Jan 3 03:36:29 UTC 2009
ankush grover <ankushcentos at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 5:07 AM, mouss <mouss at ml.netoyen.net> wrote:
> ankush grover a écrit :
>> Hi Friends,
>>
>> I have configured Postfix mail server on Centos  for relaying mails
>> from 5 linux servers (including itself) within the same LAN. The
>> postfix mail server should relay mails from these 5 linux servers for
>> specific domains only. For example hosts 192.168.0.23/24/25/26/27 and
>> the postfix mail server should only be able to receive and send mails
>> from and to example.com,example2.com and example3.com domains only.
>> Below is the configuration of the postfix mail server
>>
>> myhostname = test.example.com
>> myorigin = $mydomain
>> inet_interfaces = all
>> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
>> mynetworks_style = subnet
>> mynetworks = 192.168.0.23/32,192.168.0.24/32,192.168.0.25/32,127.0.0.1/32,192.168.0.26/32,192.168.0.27/32
>> ,relay_domains = $mydestination,example.com,example2.com,example3.com
>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
>> reject_unauth_destination,permit_mynetworks,reject
>>

>> The issue I am facing is that whenever things are working fine when I
>> check the things through telnet but when I do testing through command
>> line through "mail" command I am able to send mails to any domain from
>> these 5 servers.
>>
>> bash-2.05$ telnet test.example.com 25
>> Trying 192.168.0.27...
>> Connected to test.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> 220 test.example.com ESMTP Postfix (2.2.5)
>> mail from:ankush.grover at example.com
>> 250 Ok
>> 501 Syntax: RCPT TO: <address>
>> rcpt to:ankush at gmail.com
>> 554 <ankush at gmail.com>: Relay access denied
>>

>> How can I restrict mails even going through "mail" command from these
>> 5 servers to specific domains only. These 5 servers are running some
>> cronjobs and these cronjobs output it mailed through "mail" command.
>>

> smtpd_*_restrictions apply to mail submitted via SMTP (which is the case
> if you use telnet or if mail is received from a remote machine). but
> mail submitted via the sendmail command (which is the case when you use
> the 'mail' command) is not subject to these restrictions.

Seems so.

> in short, with your current config, you have what you want except for
> mail submitted via a sendmail on the relay itself.

The issue was on one of the linux server the relay host was not
defined in sendmail and I was testing the mail configuration that
server. Anyway now mails from other domains are getting denied from
all the 5 servers and only thing left is how to restrict mails from
the relay host (postfix mail server).  Mouss has given a good example
and I will try that.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out :)

Regards

Ankush