[CentOS] CD burning issues & questions

Sat Jan 3 21:30:38 UTC 2009
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 04:21:55PM -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:27 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been having some strange results trying to burn >CDs under
> > CentOS.  I don't think they are hardware related >because I have had
> > some success, in fact most of this usually works.
> >
> > I use k3b for most of my CD and DVD writing - it seems to work fairly
> > well (well, except for wrecking my installation a few
>
> I do have an issue with k3b (CentOS 5.2, 32 bit), but nothing grave. I
> cannot erase CD-RW media with k3b, most or all of the time. I ran into
> that last night. Went to M$ Windows and I was able to erase the 2
> CD-RW media, without any problem. Then, I tried to burn the files
> (which are M$ Windows files) to the CD-RW media. No go and I wasted
> about 20-30 minutes, while it was in a loop or stalled on M$ Windows.
> Then, I went back to CentOS and I was able to burn the files, without
> any problems.   :-)    Not sure what is causing the issues. Nothing
> grave, such as borked your box recently.

My experience has been that SOMETIMES K3B will attempt to erase a RW volume
and fail because the volume is currently mounted. I think that K3B should
automagically unmount it, but I've seen it not do so. So, if erasing it
fails, manually unmount it then try again.

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked