[CentOS] CD burning issues & questions

Sat Jan 3 22:04:16 UTC 2009
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Saturday 03 January 2009 21:21:55 Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:27 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been having some strange results trying to burn >CDs under
> > CentOS.  I don't think they are hardware related >because I have had
> > some success, in fact most of this usually works.
> >
> > I use k3b for most of my CD and DVD writing - it seems to work fairly
> > well (well, except for wrecking my installation a few
>
> I do have an issue with k3b (CentOS 5.2, 32 bit), but nothing grave. I
> cannot erase CD-RW media with k3b, most or all of the time. I ran into
> that last night. Went to M$ Windows and I was able to erase the 2
> CD-RW media, without any problem. Then, I tried to burn the files
> (which are M$ Windows files) to the CD-RW media. No go and I wasted
> about 20-30 minutes, while it was in a loop or stalled on M$ Windows.
> Then, I went back to CentOS and I was able to burn the files, without
> any problems.   :-)    Not sure what is causing the issues. Nothing
> grave, such as borked your box recently.

I struggled with this, trying as many ways as I could think of, and eventually
thought it must be impossible.  Then a couple of days ago I desperately needed
a CD, and I'd run out of blanks.  I put a CD-RW into the drive on a box where
I hadn't used k3b before.  K3b opened up with a tip-of-the-day - and miracle
of miracles, it asked if I knew that I didn't need to erase the CD-RW as k3b
could do it on the fly.  I'd nothing to lose, so I asked it to burn the iso.
It asked if I wanted it to blank the disc and use it.  I got a clean, verified
burn, and used the CD-RW to do an install!

Anne