[CentOS] CD burning issues & questions

Sun Jan 4 11:50:55 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:25 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > I struggled with this, trying as many ways as I could think of, and
>> > eventually thought it must be impossible.  Then a couple of days ago I
>> > desperately needed a CD, and I'd run out of blanks.  I put a CD-RW into
>> > the drive on a box where I hadn't used k3b before.  K3b opened up with a
>> > tip-of-the-day - and miracle of miracles, it asked if I knew that I
>> > didn't need to erase the CD-RW as k3b could do it on the fly.  I'd
>> > nothing to lose, so I asked it to burn the iso. It asked if I wanted it
>> > to blank the disc and use it.  I got a clean, verified burn, and used the
>> > CD-RW to do an install!
<snip>
> That's what I found.  If you find it works the same way as I saw, we should
> file a bug report.
<snip>
> If you have a spare disk you might do a test burn, while it's on your mind?
> Let us know what happens.

Anne: This seems OT and probably a bug report or a support request, on
CentOS or at Upstream would be appropriate? This morning, I took two
(2) CD-RW media, one Imation and one Verbatim, and I tried this. Each
of them had four (4) photos on them, a few MB of stuff. No Joy here. I
get different results than you do. When I hoped it would automatically
erase the CD-RW, as it did for you, before writing new data, I got
this Error: The disk is either empty or is not appendable".

When I tried Tools > Erase CD-RW (I tried Erase Fast, Complete and
Last Session and got the same results), I got, "The Erasing process
failed. Do you want to see the debugging output?". Below is that file.
Should a bug or support request be filed about K3b? If so, where? Will
you do that?  I suspect that K3b a very widely used application. I was
logged in as a normal user, not root.   TIA, Lanny

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.12.17

KDE Version: 3.5.4-16.el5.centos CentOS
QT Version:  3.3.6
Kernel:      2.6.18-92.1.22.el5
Devices
-----------------------
SONY CD-RW  CRX216E PD03 (/dev/hdd, ) at  [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM]
[CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16;
RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]

HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B 0D20 (/dev/hdc, ) at  [CD-ROM; DVD-ROM]
[DVD-ROM; CD-ROM] [None]
Used versions
-----------------------
cdrecord: 2.1

cdrecord command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=4 -tao
driveropts=burnfree -eject -overburn blank=fast -force

cdrecord
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).

/usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority
using setpriority().
/usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
devname: '/dev/hdd'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hdd'.
Cannot open SCSI driver.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make
sure you are root.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (cpu-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM