[CentOS] CD burning issues & questions

Sun Jan 4 13:31:19 UTC 2009
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Sunday 04 January 2009 11:50:55 Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:25 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> <snip>

> <snip>
>
> > That's what I found.  If you find it works the same way as I saw, we
> > should file a bug report.
>
> <snip>
>
> > If you have a spare disk you might do a test burn, while it's on your
> > mind? Let us know what happens.
>
> Anne: This seems OT and probably a bug report or a support request, on
> CentOS or at Upstream would be appropriate?

Before you can file a bug report that is likely to help get anything sorted,
you have to be able to define the problem.  At the moment I don't think you
have done so.

> [...]
> of them had four (4) photos on them, a few MB of stuff. No Joy here. I
> get different results than you do. When I hoped it would automatically
> erase the CD-RW, as it did for you, before writing new data, I got
> this Error: The disk is either empty or is not appendable".
>
> When I tried Tools > Erase CD-RW (I tried Erase Fast, Complete and
> Last Session and got the same results), I got, "The Erasing process
> failed. Do you want to see the debugging output?". Below is that file.
> Should a bug or support request be filed about K3b? If so, where? Will
> you do that?  I suspect that K3b a very widely used application. I was
> logged in as a normal user, not root.   TIA, Lanny
>
> System
> -----------------------
> K3b Version: 0.12.17
>
> KDE Version: 3.5.4-16.el5.centos CentOS
> QT Version:  3.3.6
> Kernel:      2.6.18-92.1.22.el5
> Devices
> -----------------------
> SONY CD-RW  CRX216E PD03 (/dev/hdd, ) at  [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM]
> [CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16;
> RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]
>
> HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B 0D20 (/dev/hdc, ) at  [CD-ROM; DVD-ROM]
> [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM] [None]
> Used versions
> -----------------------
> cdrecord: 2.1
>
> cdrecord command:
> -----------------------
> /usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=4 -tao
> driveropts=burnfree -eject -overburn blank=fast -force
>
> cdrecord
> -----------------------
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
>
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set
> RR-scheduler /usr/bin/cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set
> priority using setpriority().
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
> devname: '/dev/hdd'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hdd'.

I agree with Kay that this implies that the drive is mounted.  You MUST make
sure that it isn't before using k3b.

> Cannot open SCSI driver.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make
> sure you are root.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord
> dev=help'. Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (cpu-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
> Jörg Schilling Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with
> DVD support Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the
> original. Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
> Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
> this version.
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

When and if you get this to the point when you can make a good report, that
output tells you to do it at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla.  You might
find it helpful to search bugzilla to see what has already been said about
this.

Anne