[CentOS] Email/GroupWare Suite

Thu Jan 8 00:24:50 UTC 2009
Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>

Am 08.01.2009 um 00:54 schrieb Bo Lynch:

> So are you required to run zimbras release of these packages?

For Zimbra, yes.
But honestly: how on earth would they be able to guarantee that it's
working correctly in any other meaningful way?
Would you like to do support for your product that relies on a dozen
or more external other products (that aren't maintained in most
Enterprise Linux distributions anyway) when any of the vendors you
support the product on can introduce a patch anyday that changes some
stuff only you need in your software - and now you have customers all
over the world phoning you why your P-O-S-software stopped working out-
of-a-sudden.

They have to maintain their own releases.

> If you are forced to use them then how delayed are the releases.

There's a new release every couple of months.
See http://pm.zimbra.com
It's not that bad. If there is some serious problem, they provide
extra hotfixes, too.

It's (well, supposed to be) a turnkey-product.
At least, the pay-version is.

> Are you able to use something other than amavis and clam for
> scanning??

No.

> We
> use a product called VAMS released by central command for spam and
> antivirus on our mail server currently. These guys are very generous
> with
> pricing when it comes to educational facilities in case anyone is
> looking.

You can still use it.
Just not on the Zimbra-server.

I'm actually glad they don't have so many "use this instead of that"
stuff.
Just more stuff that could go wrong and that nobody QAs anyway.

Rainer