[CentOS] [OT] Remote control of a WinXP machine from a Linux host

Sun Jan 11 00:35:45 UTC 2009
Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.co.yu>

On Saturday 10 January 2009 23:03, John R Pierce wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > I have a WinXP machine that is to be unattended for a period of 3 years
> > (yes, I know, it sounds ridiculous, but still...). What I need is remote
> > access to it to perform regular system maintenance, virus cleanups,
> > occasional software installations, reboots, config changes, etc.
> >
> > Of course, rdesktop would do it, or vnc server or something else. The
> > problem is that this machine is behind a NAT, and I cannot access it
> > remotely from outside (and I need access from whereever on the planet I
> > may happen to be).
>
> if this remote XP machine is behind a NAT server that you can log onto
> with SSH, then, from your local machine...
>
>     ssh -L 3390:private-ip-of-remote-XP-machine:3389
> username at ip-or-hostname-of-remote-NAT-server

Well, first, private-ip-of-remote-XP-machine is dynamic, given by my ISP's
dhcp server, so I cannot have 100% guarantee that it will always be the same.
And I have no easy way of finding it out if it does change.

Second, and more serious, I have no access to the NAT server, the ISP controls
it. I may try using my username/password combination, but I am not sure what
structure the ISP has. I mean, they may well have a NAT inside a NAT inside a
NAT... However, I'll try it out to see if this kind of port-forwarding works
in my case. :-)

Thanks for help!

Best, :-)
Marko