[CentOS] After BIND update owner changed and restart failed

Mon Jan 12 16:35:51 UTC 2009
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

> Craig White wrote:
> >
> > by default, BIND will ignore attempts by clients to register dynamic dns
> > after getting an ip address from dhcp - that is what is being logged.
> >
> > You would have to 'allow-update' within a specific zone definition to
> > change default behavior.
> >
> > FWIW - I think that DHCP/BIND and having clients update DNS makes a lot
> > of sense for an office intranet but hey, that's just me.
>
> I thought when this was first implemented it was possible for client
> updates to override static assignments, so if someone named their
> windows box 'mail' it would become mail.yourdomain in DNS even if it
> wasn't supposed to be.   If that was true, is it fixed now?
----
don't know for sure...possibly could happen. The static entries have the
same format as dynamic entries and probably the only difference is their
TTL.

It wouldn't be too hard to figure out if that happened though.

Craig