[CentOS] acroread = resource hog

Wed Jan 14 01:23:42 UTC 2009
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Ed Donahue <liberaled at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any have trouble with acroread taking up massive cpu and memory?
>
> I exited my Firefox browser and the lil bastard was still hogging up
> my resources.
>
> Took up 69% of 4GB, and wouldn't let go, until a kill -9 showed'em,
> have to do it every time I open a pdf in firefox.

Funny you should bring this up.  A day or two ago, I noticed the
performance monitor on my desktop was showing about 50% cpu usage.
When I ran top, I found acroread eating 99% of a cpu, which I thought
was strange.  I looked around, and there were no acroread windows
open, so I checked with ps and found an orphan acroread (most likely
from seamonkey, I think).  I had to kill -9 it (kill didn't work), but
that's the first and so far only time I've seen this.  Usually it's
seamonkey that's hogging about 10-25% of a cpu.

HTH.

mhr