[CentOS] After BIND update owner changed and restart failed

Thu Jan 15 11:50:56 UTC 2009
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Scott Mazur wrote on Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:15:52 -0600:

> "the server can be configured either to honor the client's intentions or
> ignore them. This is done with the statement allow client-updates; or the
> statement ignore client-updates;"
>
> This refers to the client updating its own A record.  Ignore/allow here won't
> stop the DHCP server from attempting updates to BIND.
>
> "The DHCP server must be configured to use one of the two currently-supported
> methods, or not to do dns updates. This can be done with the ddns-update-style
> configuration parameter"
>
> You want to set ddns-update-style to 'none'.  This should end the BIND update
> attempts (and failure logging).

Thanks for "confirmation". Looking at the dhcpd.conf, this has been set since
the beginning. I don't think that any of these updates was coming from the
dhcpd, they were in time intervals (20 mins or a few hours) that didn't match
with the re-lease interval (one day). And as I wrote, it was only coming from
one single machine. I checked the log files on it and it stopped exactly at the
time the machine got rebooted because it acquired the latest security update
from Microsoft. So, there was obviously something goofy for about three days on
that machine that let it do those update requests. Maybe the VMWare DHCP service
on that machine was responsible as this shows up with a single error message on
the 8th, when it all seems to have started.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany