[CentOS] 3Ware 9650SE tuning advice

Fri Jan 16 05:06:11 UTC 2009
Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org>

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:51:40PM -0500, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 18:12, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org> wrote:
> > I'm not yet sure if I should be using tgtd or IET (iSCSI Enterprise Target).
>
> tgtd is already included as a technology preview in RHEL5 (RPM
> scsi-target-utils, you can install this one in CentOS 5 as well [this
> is what you're using, right?]) and the kernel-space component is
> included in the upstream Linux kernel from version 2.6.20. From these
> facts, I think there is a great chance that tgtd will be maintained
> and supported in RHEL6, which usually means that it will be kept
> stable and up to date. With that in mind, if I were to choose, I would
> tend to go towards tgtd if it worked for me.

I've been doing a bit of reading today on iSCSI target solutions in the
Linux world.  It's a bit of a mess. :-)

I am already using STGT (tgtadm, tgtd) in CentOS 5.2.  Has RH
backported the prequisite kernel components already?  I assume so, or
could this thing be running entirely userland?

I'm also going to give LIO-Target a try as I understand it might give
the best performance.

IET and SCST are other options out there.

> On the other hand, what should drive your decision is what works best
> for you. You should probably test both under a workload similar to the
> one you expect to have in production and see if one or them is a clear
> winner in that case.
>
> Let us know how that goes!

Thanks for the reply!

Ray