[CentOS] Antivirus for CentOS? (yuck!)

Thu Jan 22 13:15:23 UTC 2009
Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'm sure there are plenty of people that can give Ralph detailed information
> about using it efficiently.

Sorry, I do not want to know how to "use clamav efficiently", I am just
wondering what good clamav will do on a server, as there aren't really
any hooks into file writing or reading. Sure, I can hook up clamav into
my email stream or into my proxy on that machine for filtering out
requests to people who use windows boxes behind those.

But I do not understand which sense clamav makes on a linux server, if
there are no hooks into the kernel (I know about dazuko, but a) we don't
ship it and b) last time I looked at it I couldn't get it to run
properly without a *huge* speed penalty).

As far as I know there is no AntiVirus solution for Linux which works
the same as all the solutions under Windows do. And if you do not have
real time scanning on a server/workstation, an anti virus scanner
doesn't do you any good, as the time frame for attacks is just too
large. Either you get it on the first shot or you can just forget about
it.

So again: If you want to be PCI-DSS compliant - what's the use of
clamav?

Ralph