[CentOS] Ping and traceroute...

Fri Jan 23 21:09:44 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:16 PM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Right now, we are blocking pings and traceroutes to our website.
> But, in order for our members to test the connection when they are experiencing slow browsing, we are thinking about unblocking them...
> Are there still any security issues (flooding, etc...) in enabling them or is that an old problem fixed a long time ago?

Our two web sites do permit ping. I like to ping them from time to
time, for various reasons. Both have dedicated IP addresses. The one
time one of our sites was attacked, years ago,  was someone connecting
to the POP3 server every second. Nothing to do with ping or
traceroutes.

However, I do not permit our ADSL router at home to be pinged.  For
security reasons, I think allowing it to be pinged just increases the
possibility someone might try to get in.

As a previous reply stated, it may be against the rules to turn it off
for your web site.