[CentOS] OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server

Sun Jan 25 15:57:35 UTC 2009
Miguel Medalha <miguelmedalha at sapo.pt>

> That is really weird, since it's only sorting a list before starting
> the processing, but once the processing is started, it does exactly
> the same in both cases (the only difference is that in one case
> "filenameforall" is used and in the other case "forall" is used over
> an array with the sorted list of files).

Weird indeed. But repeatable and confirmed again and again. It doesn't
happen only over the network. It happens at the local level too, with
Distiller and all files on the same workstation.

> I don't think turning dir_index off will make the order as predictable
> as you want it. It may be a good enough work around for now, but it
> might lead to strange problems in the future that you may end up
> having to deal with again.

I don't have a choice right now. Newspapers don't wait, you know :)

> I would really advise you to investigate why when you list the files
> in the order you want in the input file it takes so long.

I will certainly investigate it. I am a curious mind, for the worse and
for the better :)

> Boa Sorte!

Agradeço. Saudações!