[CentOS] e-sata

Mon Jan 26 00:35:33 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> centos at 911networks.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anybody has any experience with e-sata on CentOS5.2?
>>
>> - How fast is it? Same as an internal sata?
>> - Does it support sata-2?
>> - Does it "hot-plug" like a USB?
>>

> The 'E' just means the connector comes out the back.  Otherwise it is
> the same as internal with the same options that depend on the controller
> model and driver.   Most, but not all SATA controllers support hot-plug
> but I think it needs to be done at the drive level, not the cable to the
> case so the connectors can enforce the right order of connections on the
> power and data side.

its also a slightly different connector, they are keyed differently so
you can't use a internal SATA cable in extenral eSATA jack.    eSATA
spec allows longer wiring, and requires better shielding.

ALL sata connectors physically have hotswap capability to support raid
backplanes and such (primarily, longer ground pins), but as you said,
there's software issues in recognizing new devices and enumerating them
and bringing up their dev nodes.