[CentOS] Newbie

Tue Jan 27 03:27:34 UTC 2009
Spiro Harvey <spiro at knossos.net.nz>

> Hi I'm a linux newbie who has just switched from windows and I'd like
> to know weather or not there is a decent switching guide

I can't speak for which is decent, but a google search for:

"how to switch from windows to linux"

seems to get much better results than:

"linux switching guide"

the former search netted many many results, ranging from specific
switching guides by magazines, to personal experiences.

just keep in mind that most guides are targetted at one specific
distribution (whatever the author has chosen), but most of the concepts
and programs that they may potentially mention will be available
everywhere.

another hint is that a lot reference Ubuntu, which has a different
method of managing program installations.. Ubuntu guides will refer to
apt-get or Synaptic (I think that's what it's called -- Synaptic does
the same as apt-get except with a windowed interface, rather than via
command line).

CentOS (and redhat and fedora) use RPM.

If a guide tells you to "apt-get program", on CentOS, load a terminal
and type "yum install program". Most program names are the same or
similar ("yum search program" will look for it but not install it).

--
Spiro Harvey                  Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923                    www.knossos.net.nz