[CentOS] Upgrade to 5.3?

Tue Jan 27 09:53:02 UTC 2009
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 00:33 -0600, Barry Brimer wrote:
> > I'm not that up on CentOS so I'd be curious to know if it is possible
> > to upgrade CentOS 5.2 to 5.3 without reinstalling? Perhaps via Yum? Or
> > can you get update RPMs?
>
> Once CentOS 5.3 is released, you can just type "yum upgrade" and you will
> be upgraded from CentOS 5.2 to CentOS 5.3.

If your configuration is set normally, "yum update" will do it. Just
like a normal set of updates. Having said that, ...

IIRC there was a recent thread, which I can't find at the moment, that
discussed some updates to glib (I though it was glibc but Ralph(?)
corrected me in another thread) that might cause a problem in later
stages of the update process. I believe the tentative conclusion was
that some notification about it would be needed.

I'm guessing it might be along the lines of the sqlite update needed in
the dark past. If so, that would be a two-step: update the lib and then
do the normal update. But keep in mind that's all predicated on vague
memory of the thread, incomplete information and blissful ignorance.

Regardless, I'm remaining alert in case my memory and understanding are
correct.

--
Bill