[CentOS] Old Small Box

Tue Jan 27 11:55:08 UTC 2009
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 12:43 +0100, Morten Torstensen wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > Oh boy! You've heard rumors that the BIOS manufacturers are going to
> > begin supporting file-system-specific layouts? I find that hard to
> > swallow.
>
> Well, in theory we don't need BIOS support. The BIOS will check that the
> first sector of the device is signed with 55AAh and just jump into the
> code in the first sector. So if LVM leaves the first sector and track
> (so grub can hide there) alone, it should work just fine.

As I thought (remembered). Which means no additional BIOS support is
needed. What's needed is that the first sector understands LVM (or
whatever the file system is if there's not LVM). So if we put the root
onto a "conventional" file system, the first sector would be the boot
code - no GRUB/LILO or anything else needed (IIRC). Of course, then no
parameters passed, no selection of alternate boots, etc.

Just like the old days! :-)

Simplicity has its strengths and weaknesses.

--
Bill