[CentOS] More than 2TB RAID...

Tue Jan 27 12:56:00 UTC 2009
Morten Torstensen <morten at mortent.org>

John Doe wrote:
> I just received a new server (HP DL180G5) with 12x 1TB HDs and I bumped into fdisks 2TB limits...

I would create two raid logical volumes, one for centos (say, 20GB to
100GB) and one with the rest of the space. Install centos and normal MBR
on /dev/sda and then use lvm on the /dev/sdb directly with no partition
table needed.

I would also strongly consider having two disks mirrored for the system
in one lvm vg and the rest in another, but with 1TB disks it is kind of
wasted space. Tho with 12 disks you can have 2 disks for RAID1, then
8+P+1 in RAID5.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: morten.torstensen at gmail.com

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer
Poland.
	-- Woody Allen