[CentOS] More than 2TB RAID...

Tue Jan 27 23:43:10 UTC 2009
Jake <jakepaulus at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 7:20 AM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just received a new server (HP DL180G5) with 12x 1TB HDs and I bumped
> into fdisks 2TB limits...
> Since this is an entry level server, I can't use the classic HP bootable
> utilities to create smaller volumes et can only create a big RAID6.
> I found out that: using parted, labelling it gpt and creating the
> partitions would do the trick.
> But, what about grub?  I read that it does not support gpt...
> Or is there another way to do it?
> By example, do you think I could boot on a live CentOS, install HP RAID
> tools on it (is it possible?) and then create volumes...?
>
> Thx,
> JD

I came across this article you may find useful:
http://www.unixgods.org/~tilo/linux_larger_2TB.html

I should say that I STRONGLY recommend not creating ext3 file systems in the
2TB+ range - fsck takes too long and you'd hate to get hit by one of those
in what is supposed to be a "quick" reboot...and disabling them on the file
system isn't a good idea either.

--
Jake Paulus
JakePaulus at gmail.com