[CentOS] More than 2TB RAID...

Wed Jan 28 04:07:29 UTC 2009
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Jan 27, 2009, at 6:46 PM, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 at 6:43pm, Jake wrote
>
>> I should say that I STRONGLY recommend not creating ext3 file
>> systems in the
>> 2TB+ range - fsck takes too long and you'd hate to get hit by one
>> of those
>> in what is supposed to be a "quick" reboot...and disabling them on
>> the file
>> system isn't a good idea either.
>
> On the other hand, nothing is as well supported on RHEL/CentOS as is
> ext3.
> So if you're data is really important to you, think hard about using
> another FS.

This is sound advice.

Best way is probably to use lvm and create multiple 2TB LVs with ext3.
Disable auto-fsck and look at doing proactive online fsck. There was a
post about a month ago on performing online fscks with snapshots.

For that kind of storage I might look at Solaris and ZFS though.

-Ross