[CentOS] More than 2TB RAID...

Wed Jan 28 09:29:22 UTC 2009
John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>

From: Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>
> If it does raid6 then you have a p400 or p800 controller, right? If so then
> hpacucli or similar can easily give you a small logical drive for the OS and
> then a large one for data.

Yes, that's the plan but, the thing is to be able to run the utilities...
I need either to make a live CD with the HP tools installed, or a "temporary OS with the tools...
First try will be to create a RAID6 on 3 disks (=1 TB, so no grub problems), install the OS, run HP ACU, extend the RAID to the 12 disks, and create the logical disks...
If first try fails, second try would be to use a temporary USB disk to install a temporary OS.
I even thought of Installing the P800 in a model 3xx, while leaving the disks in the DL180 (if cable length permits it), and boot with SmartStart on the 3xx... ^_^
As for the logical disks sizes, we would go with something like 5 disks of 1.9TB.
So, just classic msdos partitions.
One thing is for sure, HP tries really hard to make it complicated...

JD