[CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed

Fri Jan 30 17:28:56 UTC 2009
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Friday 30 January 2009 17:17:00 Chris Boyd wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2009, at 4:19 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I know I was shocked at the price I had to pay last time I replaced
> > the APC
> > battery.  My favourite vendor sells a lot of Liebert PowerSure UPSs,
> > so I
> > presume they have had no problems with them, or they'd have given up
> > by now.
> > There is a large range, and the prices are good, but the only thing
> > I can say
> > is that I haven't heard anyone complain.  I'd prefer to hear a
> > positive report
> > before buying.
>
> My company is a Leibert UPS VAR.  We became one after we started
> having problems with the APC systems we were using (I mentioned the
> shutdowns earlier on the list) and started buying Leibert for our own
> use.  Leibert's people contacted us so we could get better pricing.
> I'll never use another APC again.

That's comforting.  If I can't get an APC battery at a reasonable price I'll
take a look at that.  I'm using a Smart-UPS 700, and replacing it would be
expensive for a home system.  My son-in-law has a Leibert on his system
(which uses a lot more power than mine) and is happy with it, but hasn't had
it so long, so I'm glad to get another opinion.

> In the US we have a specialty battery retailer called "Batteries Plus"
> that's a good source for replacement batteries.  If you are not too
> far from a good sized city you should be able to find a similar
> business where you are.  Voltage and current ratings and the form
> factors for batteries are worldwide industry standards, so you should
> be able to find replacements for far less money than getting the
> "certified" batteries from APC.

OK, thanks.  I'll look around.  I guess if they are selling 'standard'
batteries they will have some way of making sure that what I buy is
compatible.  Another adventure :-)

Anne