[CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed

Fri Jan 30 19:33:24 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Chris Boyd wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
>

>> OK, thanks.  I'll look around.  I guess if they are selling 'standard'
>> batteries they will have some way of making sure that what I buy is
>> compatible.  Another adventure :-)
>>

> There's info on the battery that will identify it.
>
> Voltage (typically 12V for a small UPS)
> Ah or mAh (Amp-hours or milliamp-hours, typically 7.5 for a small UPS)
> A manufacturer model number (they should be able to cross-reference to
> get the equivalent)

many of the smaller UPS's use a pair of 6V 12AH batteries wired in
series... if these are mounted side-by-side, you can use a single 12V 12AH.

many UPS batteries use a somewhat different rating than AH, based on
minutes at some load factor.

I get my batteries from
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=393246

anyways... measure the size of the battery, go here, select the voltage
on the far right, and pick the size, and  .250 spades (or whatever) and
hit search.  BB are somewhat cheaper, Panasonic are considered premium
grade.  a really large UPS will use M5 or M6 bolt lugs.

prices -have- gone up.... a few years ago, Panasonic 12V 20AH were $44.
now they are $73.  ouch.

if this is too complex, or if your UPS uses a funky battery assembly
you're not up for hacking, try these guys...
http://www.refurbups.com/Catalog/By-APC-RBC-Battery-Number;jsessionid=0a0105501f434fd727d50b9643569c308deb23faa548.e3eSc34OaxmTe34Pa38Ta38Qb350