[CentOS] OT: Digital Video Editor for CentOS 5.2 - Suggestions?

Sat Jan 31 03:23:18 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Joseph L. Casale
> <JCasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>
>>> Still not sure why it produces an .xml
>>> file instead of .avi or something else, but if I RFM, I will probably
>>> figure that out.
>>>
>> Welcome to Non-linear video editing, I haven't read up on Cinelerra but
>> it saves an xml file since while you are working in a project, you are
>> not touching your data. Outside of a *very* large computer, raw dv is
>> useless but every time you encode it, you lose quality. It would be a very bad
>> idea to encode each time you save, which would also make saves unbearably
>> long.
>>
>> When you are done your "project" you then export(encode) it to a format
>> you so desire.
>>

> Cinelerra will take a lot of reading. I installed kino a few hours ago
> and was able to import the file OK and my wife is using that now.  :-)
>   Quick and simple, but lacks the incredible power of Cinelerra.
> Eventually, I will figure out what to do in Cinelerra, after it
> produces those .xml files....

the XML files are like a project description, as opposed to the actual
video.  think of them as a edit list.     all they are good for is
your edited video project to generate a mpeg or avi or whatever.  in
some programs its 'make movie'.