[CentOS] CentOS 5 PPC

Sat Jan 31 20:28:12 UTC 2009
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>

dnk wrote:
> There has been some discussion about PPC on this list, and I was
> looking at the CentOS homepage, and it states that support for the PPC
> architecture is in progress.
>
> Is there actually a V5 (CentOS) PPC download? I have been looking for
> it on the site without luck.
>
> For example http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/isos/ only has i386 and
> x86_64.
>
>   I have an old G4 with dual processors I want to breath some life into.

Nothing (yet) available/downloadable .. Almost all 5.2 packages were
built (afaik) for ppc but now with 5.3 just around the corner (and i386
and x86_64 arches being the first to be built/released) we'll have to
wait a little bit longer.
In the meantime, you can install CentOS 4.0beta (but no updates) or
install Fedora or YDL. Please note that YDL is based on CentOS SRPMS
(except the kernel and some other components for the cell sdk).
I admit that my RPMforge PPC builder is still running FC6 but uses mock
against RHEL4/RHEL5 to produce el4/el5 rpmforge rpms ;-)
On my other G4 i've installed YDL 6, waiting for C5 to appear
Fabian Arrotin
  idea=`grep -i clue /dev/brain` ; test -z "$idea" && echo "sorry, init
6 in progress" || sh ./answer.sh