[CentOS] Playing with php 5.3.0

Michael A. Peters

mpeters at mac.com
Wed Jul 1 09:40:59 UTC 2009

Even though I do not recommend it for production yet, I packaged and am
playing with php 5.3.0 - src.rpm at

http://www.clfsrpm.net/php53/

(needed epel to build)

Other than the suhosin loadable module messing up pear's ability to do
anything, initial tests show it working fairly well.

Looks like the enchant module is a nogo on CentOS (aspell too old) but
in the few hours of testing, none of my code (yet) is broken in it.

There are some warnings in the log files w/ respect to squirrelmail and
setting time zone (stock centos squirrelmail), I'll have to look into
that, and the php src.rpm there actually has a minor bug - it should
obsolete/provide pecl-Fileinfo, but I'll wait for suhosin to come up
with their patch to core php before I bother to update.

Anyway, it's there for anyone who feels like playing with 5.3.0 to see
what breaks, you just to rebuild the src.rpm.