[CentOS] Multiple Internet facing Nics - Gateway issue

Doug Coats

dcoatshca at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 17:29:24 UTC 2009

I have a server with 4 nics.  Two are using different internet connections,
both with static IP's, and two are connected to our private network.

The two internet facing nics seem to be battling over the gateway
designation.  Which ever I designate as the gateway the other stops
responding to incoming traffic.  I need both to listen to inbound traffic.
One for our main web page and the other for another web server.  I found
some information of Iproute2 but that did not seem to solve my issues.

Here are the config files:

ifcfg-eth2
DEVICE=eth2
BOOTPROTO=static
HWADDR=00:24:E8:52:92:8E
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=xx.yy.51.45
NETMASK=255.255.255.252
GATEWAY=xx.yy.51.46

ifcfg-eth3
DEVICE=eth3
BOOTPROTO=static
HWADDR=00:24:E8:52:92:90
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=aa.bb.166.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
GATEWAY=aa.bb.166.1

network
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=no
HOSTNAME=heritage01
GATEWAY=xx.yy.51.46
GATEWAYDEV=eth2

rt_tables
#
# reserved values
#
255     local
254     main
253     default
0       unspec
#
# local
#
#1      inr.ruhep
200 Cable
201 T1
iproute2 routes
ip route add xx.yy.51.44/30 dev eth2 src xx.yy.51.46 table Cable
ip route add default via xx.yy.51.46
ip route add xx.yy.51.44/30 dev eth2 src xx.yy.51.46
ip route add default via xx.yy.51.46
ip rule add from xx.yy.51.46 table Cable
ip route add aa.bb.166.0/27 dev eth3 src aa.bb.165.2 table T1
ip route add default via aa.bb.166.1
ip route add aa.bb.166.0/27 dev eth3 src aa.bb.166.2
ip rule add from aa.bb.166.2 table T1
ip route flush cache

Other people seem to be using this configuration successfully but I seem to
be missing something important.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!  Thanks!