[CentOS] Upgrading drives in raid 1

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jul 2 17:35:56 UTC 2009

> >If /dev/md1 is made out of /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2, it will not work,
> >as those partitions will still be the same size as they were before...
>

> I have md0 as the boot, md1 as the rest. Inside md1 are all my lvm
> partitons.
> The grow command is supposed to expand the size of that md1 from its current
> 200+GB to fill the rest of the 500gb drive.
>
> I thought you could then expand the lvm partions inside of that.
>
> If the grow command does not make the raid device larger, then what does it
> do?

It only works once you have replaced all of the smaller drives with
larger ones.  If /dev/sdc is your spareset drive, when you replace it
you'd partition it (manually) to have a larger #2 partition.  Then you
would fail over say sdb to sdc and make sdb the spareset drive and then
pull it and replace it with a large disk and partition it like sdc, then
you would fail sda over to sdb and replace sda with a large disk, and
partition it like sdc.  NOW you can grow the raid set & LVM vg.