[CentOS] Multiple Internet facing Nics - Gateway issue

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jul 3 07:49:00 UTC 2009

Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
> More detail on this:
> digging a bit on the network-scripts I found that there are few checks
> and calls to /sbin/ifup-pre-local, /sbin/ifup-local,
> /sbin/ifdown-pre-local, /sbin/ifdown-local, so I guess that this is
> the "right" place to put ip routes and rules commands.

i dunno, i would sort of assume the -local functions are for the
localhost interface (/dev/lo), and the idea of having system specific
config files in /sbin/ is somewhat abhorrant.

in fact, upon some digging, it looks like you put RULES in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/rule-ethX and ROUTES in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-ethX

the lines in the rule-* file are run prefixed by `ip rule add` while the
lines in the route-* file are prefixed by `ip route add` on an interface
'up' event, and on the corresponding 'down' event, they are prefixed by
ip {route|rule} del ....

so in fact, my 'AFAIK there is no provision' is in fact wrong, at least
in CentOS 5.x....