[CentOS] what would be happen if swap partition is not?

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 13:08:06 UTC 2009

2009/7/3 MontyRee <chulmin2 at hotmail.com>

>  Hello, all.
>
> I know the function of the swap and can make swap partion or file.
>
> But, if there is no swap partion at system, what would be happen?
> that makes the system unstable or not?
>
> I have one system that has no swap, but there was no problem until now.
>

> Thanks in advance.

The swap file is there to provide extra memory when the physical RAM runs
out. But if you have a lot (say 4GB+) ram in your machine, you may not
even necessarily use swap. So, getting back to your question, it wont' cause
problems - unless you run programs which consume more resources than the
physical RAM in the PC.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers