[CentOS] Replicate desktop configuration for other users using /etc/skel

Eduardo Grosclaude eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 20:57:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Niki Kovacs<contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The subject says it all. I'd like to copy my own custom desktop
> configuration for other users on the machine without having to go
> manually through the hassle.
>
> Here's a non-exhaustive list of what I usually tweak :
>
> * Theme + icons
> * background image
> * panel
> * screensaver
> * Nautilus behaviour
> * Handling of removable devices
> * Gnome Terminal
> * Gnome Dictionary (french servers)
> * GEdit options
>
> And so on...
>
> I used to do this before, a few years ago, when I was a Slackware user,
> but only with KDE (or XFCE on older hardware). Usually it boiled down to
> copy the relevant hidden directory trees (.kde/ or .config) to /etc/skel
> before creating new users.
>
> Would something similar work with GNOME? And if so, what are the
> relevant hidden configuration directories to copy over?

You could create a new dummy user, customize her desktop as you wish
and then look for the dot-g* hidden directories in her home.
Directories called .gconf, .gnome, .gnome2, .gnome2_private and such
are candidates. Some apps will use .local or .config also.

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue