[CentOS] Dag's comment at linuxtag

R P Herrold herrold at centos.org
Sat Jul 4 00:51:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, Bogdan Nicolescu wrote:

> BUT... when someone from the Centos team makes a statement
> like "...latest release has many up-to-date desktop
> packages..."

ummm -- it is of course true that changes happen; rebasings do
as well; and the CentOS project [and the upstream] document
these matters in release notes as to the up-to-date changes
done.  Upstream decided on most of them, or we made a minimal
delta to get the packageset to stabilize.  So what?  The
project cannot cater to people who won't read nor pay
attention.

> I think a lot of users will start looking for alternatives.

'a lot?' ... we disagree

That said: Choice is good -- keeping an eye on options is
good.  So what?

Straining at gnats and worrying about scope creep by CentOS in
'base' and 'updates' is a wasted effort, so long as one
remains in those archives.  As I said before, 'no-one forces
you to use any third party repository'

-- Russ herrold