[CentOS] new RAID5 array: 3x500GB with XFS

James A. Peltier jpeltier at fas.sfu.ca
Sat Jul 4 06:14:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, Coert Waagmeester wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have yesterday after some typos, sent my ext3 RAID5 array to the
> void...
>
> I want to recreate it now, but I read on
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Disk_Optimization
> that you can optimize the filesystem on top of the RAID.
>
> Will this wiki article be exactly the same for XFS?
>
> Is it worth the trouble to also create an LVM volume on the RAID array?
>

> Regards,
> Coert

You have to understand the details of how the raid was built, stripe size,
logical unit number and RAID-5 itself to properly optimize.  Google for
XFS performance tuning and you'll find lots of details.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
           http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
MSN     : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com