[CentOS] Getting started with NFS

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Sat Jul 4 08:02:44 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've never been using NFS before, but I'm going to need it. I gathered
some documentation (Deployment Guide, RHEL 5 Unleashed, general NFS
docs) and I have a few machines to experiment with.

After about two hours of reading and experimenting, I must admit the
documentation is confusing, to say the least. Although some step-by-step
tutorials are provided, none of them work. For example, the RHEL
deployment guide mentions NFSv2, NFSv3 and NFSv4... but as much as I
poke around, I don't even find a way to checkout which one of the
version I'm running.

So...

1) Can you suggest some reliable and well-written (think:
newbie-friendly) documentation about NFS?

2) Usually I start out from a minimal install on desktop as well as
servers. Which packages are needed on the servers side, and on the
client side, in order for NFS to work correctly? None of the docs
mentioned above says a word about it.

Thanks,

Niki