[CentOS] modern motherboard for centos-5

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Jul 4 23:06:56 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 10:18:56AM -0700, nate wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> > I'm considering upgrading, and am trying to choose a modern motherboard
> > that nevertheless fully works with Centos5/RHEL5.
>
> What role is that system going to play?
>
> I assume server because I'd put money down that in excess of
> 99% of CentOS installations are servers. (that number
> started at 95% and I kept jacking it up higher the more
> I thought about it..)

Sorry, I didn't think to specify. It's my personal playground/home computer/
mail server. So in the sense that it hosts the mail server for my personal
domain, then yes, it's a server. But in every other sense it's "just" my
personal computer.

One board at Newegg that is inexpensive yet from the reviews looks like
a good one is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392.
I've been running on a Gigabyte board for the last 5 (or so--can't recall
exactly) years and it has always "just worked", so I wouldn't mind another.

But what I don't know how to tell is if chipsets have Linux support (in
my preferred OS, not the latest unreleased Fedora Rawhide, or next year's
still pre-alpha Ubuntu), or even with chipset support does the darn thing
work or not?

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?