[CentOS] Question about optimal filesystem with many small files.

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 20:35:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 16:21, Alexander
Georgiev<alexander.georgiev at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would use either only a database, or only the file system. To me -
> using them both is a violation of KISS.

I disagree with your general statement.

Storing content that is appropriate for files (e.g., pictures) as
BLOBs in an SQL database only makes it more complex.

Creating "clever" file formats to store relationships between objects
in a filesystem instead of using a SQL database only makes it more
complex (and harder to extend!).

Think a website that stores user's pictures and has social networking
features (maybe like Flickr?). The natural place to store the JPEG
images is the filesystem. The natural place to store user info,
favorites, relations between users, etc. is the SQL database. If you
try to do it different, it starts looking like you are trying to fit a
square piece in a round hole. It may be possible to do it, but it is
certainly not elegant.

Just because you are using less technologies doesn't necessarily make
it simpler.

Filipe