[CentOS] nfs (v3?) fails to allow writes and permission changes

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jul 15 17:43:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 11:02 -0400, JohnS wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 06:39 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 00:42 -0400, JohnS wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 16:32 -0400, Rob Kampen wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > ---
> > > /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice
> > >
> > > # file locking now enabled by default
> > > SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1
> > > export SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING
> > >
> > > Comment those two lines out and try that. An alternative is to use
> > > Samba instead of NFS. I had that problem on NFS also a while ago.
> > ----
> > perhaps as a test but that is a bad idea for every day usage.
> >
> > Craig
>
> ---
> Correct, but I only use that on a NFS server at home and not on
> production client machines. Production client I have using samba.
----
I can assure you from my own home usage that if I have file open on
Linux (Fedora) desktop system, files are mounted from CentOS server via
NFS mount and Windows uses samba from same CentOS server and if either
is using an ODF or XLS or DOC file, the other will be notified that the
file is locked and offered to open a copy or read-only. Locking
semantics seems to work perfectly among systems.

Craig

believed to be clean.