[CentOS] NIS

Toralf Lund toralf.lund at pgs.com
Wed Jul 22 11:06:16 UTC 2009

Per Qvindesland wrote:
> Hi list
>
> Does anyone know about a good howto setup nis and to make ad see it
> and use the usernames?
I haven't actually set up NIS in the machine I'm using right now, but if
I remember correctly, what you need to do to get a machine to use the
usernames and passwords on an existing NIS server is:

   1. Insert a line like
      domain yourdomainname broadcast
      in the file /etc/yp.conf.
   2. Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf; change the line
      passwd:     files
      passwd:     files nis
      or
      passwd:     nis files
   3. /sbin/chkconfig ypbind start

If you are using DHCP and the DHCP server knows the NIS domain name,
it's even simpler, as 1) should be done automatically (but it's always a
good idea to check the file just in case.)

If you're talking about setting up a NIS server, I can't recall much
about how it's done, I'm afraid...

- Toralf